> A better patch would check to see if the text to the right of the '.'
> is a valid group...  However, the above will still parse
>
>       fred.jones:fred.jones
>
> in the most desirable way, so I suppose the validity checking is
> overkill.

This is what I plan to commit (w/in minutes):

-                if ((group = strchr(q, ':')) != NULL) {
+                if ((group = strchr(q, ':')) != NULL ||
+                    (group = strrchr(q, '.')) != NULL) {

It the becomes [almost totally] non-ambigitous (since the separator is
required) and allows "david.obrien.staff".  In my mind more people use
dots in usernames than group names.  Anyay, it is documented to use :,
and I am just trying to be "liberal in what is accepted" (w/o
obfuscating the code).

--
-- David    (obr...@nuxi.com  -or-  obr...@freebsd.org)