John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> ok, I just made a patch to eliminate the copy that was happening in
> procfile, and it sped up a grep of a 5meg termcap from about 2.9sec
> down to .6 seconds... this includes time spent profiling the program..
> GNU grep w/o profiling only takes .15sec so we ARE getting closer to
> GNU grep...

Rather impressive. But... did you run these tests more than once, to
account for vm caching?

> it was VERY simple to do... and attached is the patch... this uses the
> option REG_STARTEND to do what the copy was trying to do... all of the
> code to use REG_STARTEND was already there, it just needed to be enabled..

Just for the record... :-) This eliminates one of the "added
complexities" I pointed out.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                        (8-DCS)
d...@newsguy.com

        "Is it true that you're a millionaire's son who never worked a day
in your life?"
        "Yeah, I guess so."
        "Lemme tell you, son, you ain't missed a thing."