On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > This is a clear security vs functionality issue and I need to get a
> > good feel for which "cause" is ascendent here in knowing which way to
> > jump on the matter.  Can we now hear the closing arguments from the
> > pro and con folks?
>
> I thought we decided that the networking gurus we're going to make it
> possible to send out broadcast packets on an unconfigured interface so
> that DHCP would work, so that bpf wasn't required.

        This is by far the preferred solution. I might have the details
archived from the dhcp mailing list, but IIRC it boils down to dealing
properly with an address of 255.255.255.255. Whoever it was that mentioned
it recently on this list clearly had the right idea.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter