I prefer to work in flat ASCII.  Perhaps the doc project can HTMLize
the final product.

Currently, I'm hatching a plan to free up an AMD386/40 running
FreeBSD 2.1.5 for use as a 4.x sandbox.  The little thing has been
faithfully and unerringly natd-ing my whole Solaris/NetBSD/Linux/
UNIXWare LAN onto the big cloud for more than 2 years.  It really is
emotionally difficult to pull the little box out of production.  It
has a personality and everything.

Anyway, Mr. Dillon, once I have a development box to smack around, I
intend to start with your suggestion of implementing a filesystem
of my own concoction by returning an error for all VOP calls and
issuing a kernel printf.  How visible will the new VOP code be to
me at this level?  The Penguins are rewriting the bejesus out of their
VFS system to the point where all the existing FS code must be redone
to conform.  Please debifurcate:
1)  Any attempt from-scratch FS development should definitely wait for
    the new VFS code.  Start now and you'll only end up rewiting in the
    Fall.
2)  Hack away.  All changes will be completely transparent to the FS
    coder.  Your code, as well as everything in 2.x and 3.x will drag
    and drop right into the new model and build like the very wind.
Thanks