On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:05:14 MST, Doug wrote:

>       I still haven't heard anyone answer the two key (IMO) questions.

Your questions are easier answered in reverse order:

> and how do you justify the additional cost to parse the file for every
> single system call that uses it?

The information is part of the comments within the file. The cost is in
disk space, and it's cheaper than fleabites.

> Why is it better to have this in the file than in a man page,

Since it costs nothing to have it in /etc/services, why not leave it
there along with the information with which it's associated? The
alternative is to have a manpage that contains most of the information
in /etc/services!

> My only concern is that putting it IN the file has more costs than
> benefits.

What am I missing here, that I don't see a cost? What software scans the
lines in /etc/services beyond the comment delimiter, other than null
terminator searches?

So far, I've had some great advice on this issue (although I think it's
time the thread took a long walk off a short pier), so I definitely have
my ears open. I'm just having trouble either understanding or believing
what I'm hearing. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.