Dag-Erling Smorgrav scribbled this message on Aug 4:
> "Kelly Yancey" <kby...@alcnet.com> writes:
> > [...]
>
> Which reminds me - has anyone thought of using DMA for zeroing pages,
> to avoid cache invalidation? The idea is to keep a chunk of zeroes on
> disk and DMA it into memory instead of clearing pages "manually". This
> assumes your disk supports DMA, of course.

has anyone looked at using two dma channels tied together to do memory
copies?  I haven't studied the DMA specs, but from what I know of the
dma on x86 machines is that you could tie two dma channels together one
to feed the other, and this would allow you to copy memory w/o using the
processor...

w/ dma channels, we can just make a copy of the base zero page...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking                                   P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson