On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <19990807165202.a37...@cicely8.cicely.de>,
> Bernd Walter  <ti...@cicely.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 05:38:48PM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > >
> > > But not on the Alpha...  int64_t is a long there, and gcc complains unless
> > > you use %ld.
> > Mmm and long is 32Bit it seems.
>
> No, longs are 64 bits on the Alpha.  Ints are 32 bits, though.

Let us now note that the new, portable, 90's way of printing something
cast to a 64-bit value is
        printf("foo = %lld\n", (long long)foo);
This works in the kernel (4.0 now) and userland, so it would be the
proper way. Is there anyone who is specifically checking for long long
C9X-compliancy in the source tree (mainly libc)?

Anyway, it's not an issue what the size of a long/int is, for printing
a 64-bit value. That was my point, I'm sure of it!

> John
> --
>   John Polstra                                               j...@polstra.com
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA
>   "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@freebsd.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/