> On 23-Aug-99 Greg Lehey wrote:
> >  I'm a little surprised that there's any objection to the concept of
> >  mandatory locking.  In transaction processing, locking is not
> >  optional, and if any process at all can access a file or set of files
> >  without locking, you can't guarantee the database integrity.  Other
> >  OSs have used mandatory locking for decades, and System V has it too.
> >  So far I haven't seen any arguments, let alone valid ones, against
> >  having it in FreeBSD.
>
> I think its a good idea, and hey if people object it can always be an option
> like ->
>
> option NO_MANDATORY_LOCKING

Not quite - developers have to deal with the mess that it would cause
- Matt for example says:

:    Ugh.  Yuch.  No, nothing to do with permission bits, not for something
:    this convoluted!

Are you saying that he should just enable an option and forget about
it when he tweaks something horrible in NFS that only a handfull of
others understand ?

:-I
--
Brian <br...@awfulhak.org>                        <br...@freebsd.org>