On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 11:23:06AM -0700, Doug wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Nate Williams wrote:
> > Sentences are supposed to have two spaces before you start the next
> > sentence.
>
>       Well, that was definitely the old typographical convention, but in
> the digital age it's fallen into disfavor. It was easier to delete the
> second space to make them all consistent, but I can go with double spaces
> if that's the consensus.

I did this change over on the FDP in the Handbook, thinking it didn't make
any difference either.

Then I got deluged with e-mail from people telling me that lots of editors
use the double space as part of their heuristic to determine where sentences
start and end.

And I turned it back :-)

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <37514...@cs.colorado.edu>