On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Natty Rebel wrote:

> Quoting JK3 (j...@bgl.vsnl.net.in):
> >
> > vs> I whacked mount and umount into shape for using an option "user" in
> >    [snip]
> > vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/mount.diff
> > vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/umount.diff.
> >
> > vs> Discussion welcome!
> >
> > You can allow non-root users to mount and unmount devices if
> > the sysctl variable "vfs.usermount" is set to "1".
> >
> > For example, here's what you need to do to allow floppies to
> > be mounted:
> >
> >     As `root':
> >     1. # chmod 777 /dev/fd0 # give perms to access the device
> >     2. # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
> >
> >     Now users can mount and umount the floppies:
> >     3. $ mkdir ~/my-mount-point
> >     4. $ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 ~/my-mount-point
> >     5. $ umount ~/my-mount-point
> >
> > A FAQ entry covering this point is being reviewed and should shortly
> > be committed.
> This procedure can be automated by entering the following command
> in /etc/rc.sysctl
>       sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1

Maybe it's just me, but I think you are confusing this with
{Net|Open}BSD.  /etc/rc.sysctl does not exist in FreeBSD.
-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jed...@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.