On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:01:55AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > OTOH, I can see that having a common user:group would be useful and
> > make some things easier, too.
>
> And that's all I want -- to make things easier. :-)

I don't think you should add usernames/groups to the base system
just for the sake of ports.

1)  There are more ports than just the MTAs that require their own
usernames/groups.  Are you going to add these to the base system, too?

I realize that we already have some precedence for this; see for
example inetd.conf which contains sample entries for ports.  The
differences are 1) entries in inetd.conf are sample entries only, 2)
ports have no way of adding those entries to inetd.conf themselves
(since touching /etc is illegal).

2)  The current system for having ports add their own usernames and
groupnames is very simple.  It is a little messy in that there are a
number of different pkg/INSTALL scripts, some of them broken to
various degrees.  Simply adding an mta username:groupname won't solve
that problem.

Suppose you do add an mta username/groupname to the base system.
Ports will still need to keep their various pkg/INSTALL scripts, since
the ports need to work on older releases of FreeBSD that do not have
the new username and groupname.  You would need to modify the
pkg/INSTALL scripts to use the new username/groupname and (depending
on how broken the script is to start with) add it only if necessary.

What about existing admins who have their systems configured with the
existing usernames and groupnames?  These people will have problems
when they upgrade the port (possibly annoying problems).  Will the
ports be modified so that they use their earlier custom username/groupname
in preference to the standardized username/groupname?

This is a lot of complexity you're adding simply for the sake of
having a unified username and groupname added to the base system.

3)  We try to keep the ports system roughly independent of the base
system, and vice-a-versa.  Do you plan to make sendmail use this new
mta id (is that even possible?)?  Or will this id be added solely for
the use of the ports system?  (Yes, I am aware of historical raisins
such as the news id).  If only the latter, then adding a new id is
probably not a good idea.

If what you want is to have all the MTAs run under a single
user/group-name, then you should modify each of the ports.  The ports
can then add the user/group as necessary, which works for almost any
release of FreeBSD.  While you are doing this, you could also fix the
ports to use a more-or-less common pkg/INSTALL script (although a copy
should be carried with each port, rather than sharing only one copy);
last time I looked at this, I came close to proposing an addition to
bsd.port.mk, too.

The only argument you've really made is that adding a user/group -name
to the base system will make some things simpler.  However, this also
adds complexity elsewhere.  Further, it is a fairly slippery slope.
Adding user/group-names for every port wanting one is a fairly bad
idea because of a) loss of single-point customizability for individual
ports (eg. changing for local purposes the username used by a given
port is now more work), b) backwards-compatibility requirements (ie.
work on older releases of FreeBSD w/o custom uid/gid-s) of the
ports system, and c) we may eventually collide with names added by
admins on their own system (there is a de-facto standard of reserving
the first 100 id # that helps lessen the likelihood of this, but
it is i) only a de-facto standard, ii) only the first 100).

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.