On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> How is it that BIOS settings can affect this?  Do they fiddle
> with some battery-backed switch on the motherboard?

The ATX power supply has a lead or two that are always powered.  This allows
the machine do softpower on.  It also means that the bios can tell the power
supply to go on whenver that the signal is present.  Macintoshes have done
something like this since the Mac II.  most of them had a powr switch that
could be configured to always be on when plugged in.  I wish someone would
make such an ATX power supply!

David