On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 12:25:52PM +0000, greg wrote:
> I'm trying to run 1-2 processes with very large memory footprints on my P2
> SMP
> machine.  I'm finding that the process switches cpu's quite often, which
> obviously isn't good for the caches on the CPU.
>
> Can anybody point me to a paper, mailing list discussion, etc. that discusses
> scheduling processes to not thrash the cpu caches?  Or if there's anything in
> place, how I can take advantage of it, etc.  I got stumped on the idea a
> while
> ago, so I'm really curious...

<Disclaimer>
All I've heard is a marketing presentation.  I haven't seen this is the real
world yet.
</Disclaimer>

IBM just released a new version of AIX (4.3.3).  One of the big features is
CPU affinity in order to made better use of the CPU caches.  They claim to
have done this be having a separate run queue for each CPU.

Just food for thought,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville