On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:37:00 -0600, Alexander Best <arun...@freebsd.org> wrote:

1) switching to a differnt tty worked, but i couldn't log in (input was simply
   ignored)

I don't mean to derail this thread if this is completely unrelated, but we've been having issues with FreeBSD 8.0 and 8.1 dying on our ESX 4.0 cluster. The usual result is that the machine stops responding to all network activity and at the console you can switch ttys but it doesn't accept any input. We can't find any absolute hard evidence yet, but we think it might have to do with the preferred path changing to the SAN and FreeBSD freaking out. Could this possibly be boiling down to the same core issue?

Regards,

Mark