On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Oleksandr Dudinskyi wrote:

I should like more specifically disclose my plan of action. One of the main tasks is find the places where registered errors, subsequently error analysis (their type) and separation errors related to disk and modifying the output format. There are different types of errors such as soft, hard, transport, device not ready, recoverable and other. Currently, presence the problem of reports and the majority error logs built as an individual files. Necessary changes in the kernel, which provide the emergence a database that processes information from several sources. The current kernel can't report what specific operations were errors, this further compounds the consistency problem. Reports of drivers errors requires a change. Systematization format recording of errors also is a priority,that we get and where the error occurred.

Hi Oleksandr:

This sounds like a potentially interesting project, but it remains a bit abstract to me, which makes me worry about it as a GSoC project. Strong proposals typically have a well-defined and easily characterised objective (1-2 sentences), and 3-4 intermediate deliverables. I worry that what you've described may be a bit too researchy for a summer project, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise! Could you flesh out in a bit more detail how what you have in mind would work: are there new daemons? system calls? will you reuse existing logging or error-handling infrastructure? what is the namespace for errors? how will it affect current operations? We don't need perfect answers to these questions yet, but a slightly more worked out example might help resolve my concerns.

Thanks!

Robert