It seems Volker Stolz wrote:
> The RZ1000 PCI-IDE controller found on at least one Intel board is
> severely broken and requires a workaround which is available for
> Linux (at least it turned up in the config for 2.4.0, though the board
> should be a couple of years old, it's for regular Pentium-I).
>
> Could anyone comment on this to get it working with FreeBSD?
> sysinstalls gets write-errors after a couple of kilobytes, and
> when running an already installed system, mount/fsck bomb with
> sig 11, after that you find yourself in single-user mode with
> every command (including 'reboot'!) yielding a SIGILL.

Well, that chip is so broken by design, no software workaround can
help its misery, a hardware fix exists, but cant (easily) be
retrofitted. Forget about it, buy a new Promise or whatever if
you really need that board, a software only fix is _not_ possible,
no matter what linux might tell you....

-Søren