> Hi,
>
> On 2012-05-21 12:46, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> > I need to control some lab equipment with several usb based controllers
> > (mostly serial) and was wondering if it can be done over IP, there is such a
> > thing called usbip, but couldn't find what 'server' is needed.
> > all the boxes I found are not cheep, but worse, only provide binaries
> > for windows, or linux.
>
> I'm not entirely sure about your setup - you write usb based controllers
> - and then mostly serial...

I know, the word serial is confusing, what I meant is that the USB connection
(which could be a mass-storage, camera, etc) is in my case serial (ie rs232)

> I know it is not strictly speaking usb over ip - but did you look at RFC
> 2217 ?
yes, but it's not relevant to what I'm looking for, I want to send/receive
the USB protocol over IP. I only mentioned the serial (rs232) because I don't
need speed (as opposed to a camera, audio, etc)

cheers,
        danny