Why? Your laptop have most probably slow CPU and it will make everything
too slow if you make everything encrypted.

I'd suggest some experiments - create a largish RAMdisk with and without
GELI and see how the performance compares (this will be a lot faster than
converting your SSD as well as saving a full-SSD erase/write cycle).

right. DO TESTs.

mdconfig -a -t swap -s512m -u 0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0 bs=128k count=4k
dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/null bs=128k count=4k

geli init -s 2048 /dev/md0
geli attach /dev/md0
dd if=/dev/md0.eli of=/dev/null bs=128k count=4k (*)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0.eli bs=128k count=4k (*)
geli detach /dev/md0
mdconfig -d -u 0

but from my experience intel atom have very low geli performance, esp. older models. and your laptop is atom based IMHO.

result from commands marked with * on my atom based machine:
[root@bk ~/NOBACKUP]# dd if=/dev/md0.eli of=/dev/null bs=128k count=4k
4095+1 records in
4095+1 records out
536868864 bytes transferred in 25.030418 secs (21448658 bytes/sec)
[root@bk ~/NOBACKUP]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0.eli bs=128k count=4k
dd: /dev/md0.eli: short write on character device
dd: /dev/md0.eli: end of device
4096+0 records in
4095+1 records out
536868864 bytes transferred in 26.050000 secs (20609169 bytes/sec)

as you can see results are awful, in spite it is
CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz (1827.08-MHz K8-class CPU)

And i actually do use geli on it, but as the only thing it does is regularly running rsync to backup several other servers, it isn't a problem it can put heavy CPU load.

As for the overall SSD write rate, some time ago, I worked through
minimising the write activity on the SSD in my laptop (I wrote a tool
that monitors write transfers via devstat(3) and it would be possible
to track down the actual modified files via kqueue(2) if necessary).
I'm now down to about two chunks of about 13 transfers each per hour
(due to entopy saving and ntp.drift updating).  The changes were:
1) Mount the SSD filesystems as noatime

forgot about this. But this is good for ANY type of storage.
I run noatime everywhere and don't have problems.

2) Turn off all local syslogging (syslog is directed to another
  system when my laptop is at home, lost otherwise).

of course, or use /tmp/ for syslog. syslog is useful even on private computer.

3) Change maillog rotation to size instead of daily

i - by default, and everywhere - turn off most things from default /etc/crontab including rotation.

and if you have syslog turned off or changed as i recommended you don't have maillog file produced at all so no need to rotate.

i recommend turning log rotation off at all everywhere, then turn it on willingly based on actual needs.

4) Run save-entropy once per hour instead of roughly every 11 minutes.
  [Note that */11 means 0,11,22,33,44,55 not every 11 minute]
5) Patch the save-entropy script to reduce the write load when
  it's run (see PR bin/134225).
6) Use a swap-back /tmp
use tmpfs and don't fear to add /var/tmp to it.

As for applications - firefox generates quite a heavy write load
during normal use.  Moving the cache to /tmp will help but I don't
think there's any complete solution.

isn't simpler to just turn cache off in firefox?

Also, you're probably better off running a traditional lightweight
window manager than something like KDE or Gnome.

Which is good recommendation on any kind of computer and disk type, not just yours.

another recomendation - why you everywhere put DOS/MBR partitions?
it's just a mess and completely useless unless you run windoze on the same disk.

when using whole device filesystem just clean head (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/device bs=1m count=1) and then just do newfs

if now just bsdlabel -w device, bsdlabel -e device and possibly
bsdlabel -B device

it's that simple