---

On Sep 13, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Mark Felder <f...@feld.me> wrote:

> Changing timer source has not been tested. It doesn't crash in 7.x, so did
> something timer related change in 8.x?

Mark
  Yes the time counter choice priority changed , in 8 favoring higher precision
hardware like hpet over acpi-fast/safe . I am not sure why or when thus was
done; or if this is a side effect of another change. Interestingly
centos/rhel/suse has made similar changes and VMware has odd issues with them
as well.

Can you boot up a 7 environment and get us the value sysctl kern.timecounter .
Then get that from an a 8 and 9 environment . Then if the 7 environment uses a
different time counter can you try using that value on your crashing setup and
report back what the result is .

---
Mark saad | mark.s...@longcount.org