Again, I think the best thing you can do is find a few people who are
aligned with what you're trying to achieve, sketch together something,
write up a few applets/applications, and get them into a port.

I then think the best thing to do is talk/work with the PCBSD people
to get this stuff integrated into what they're doing.

I think it's great that you're trying to do this. I think it's better
to target something like PCBSD (where the idea of a "desktop
environment" default makes sense, as they're already writing GUI
toolkits) versus having FreeBSD try to choose an "environment".

:)

Adrian