on 26/09/2012 12:10 Konstantin Belousov said the following:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:14:41AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
[snip]
>> So what's my point. - using volatile variable with cpu_monitor requires
>> DEVOLATILE to silence compiler warning about discarding volatile; this is
>> unnecessary code bloat - adding volatile cast in the checks is easy to
>> forget and adds code bloat
>>
>> Possible improvements: - make the argument of cpu_monitor be 'const
>> volatile void *', the most permissive type; this would also be a hint
>> that variable should be volatile - add some magic dust to cpu_monitor
>> that would tell compiler to not cache the variable; right now I can only
>> think of the "memory" constraint, but it seems to be too big of a hummer
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>
> You might claim that the asm writes to *addr by specifying it in the output
> constraint. This should fool the compiler into reload *addr after the
> monitor execution.

You mean something like:
static __inline void
cpu_monitor(const void *addr, u_long extensions, u_int hints)
{

        __asm __volatile("monitor"
            :  "=m" (*(char *)addr)
            : "a" (addr), "c" (extensions), "d" (hints));
}

This seems to do the job with base gcc, 4.6, 4.7 and clang.
Thank you!
--
Andriy Gapon