On 26 Oct 2012 21:51, "Simon J. Gerraty" <s...@juniper.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:00:26 +0100, Chris Rees writes:
> >:L -- seems that bmake's use for this is kinda pointless; returning the
> >name of the variable; we could swap that usage over directly.
>
> Acutally it is very useful.
> The debugging facilities in dirdeps.mk rely on it.
> The junos build uses it in many other places too.
>

> >:U -- with bmake has non-optional arguments, so for example:
> >
> >${VAR:U} - pmake behaviour
> >
> >${VAR:Uval} - make behaviour.
> >
> >Would that be acceptable?  I can get a patch in if that's popular.
>
> No, please don't do that.
> I'm trying to reduce the divergence b/w freebsd and netbsd.

In that case we have a switch time on the order of years, not weeks; 8.3 is
supported until May '14, and unless we get a :tl etc MFC into 8, even
longer.  All this time the ports tree must work with pmake.

I don't want to discourage you or belittle your excellent work here, but
Marcel made me very nervous with his comment on the process being "a few
weeks".

Chris