----- Original Message ----- From: <dte...@freebsd.org>
To: "'Ian Lepore'" <free...@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc: <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>; <dte...@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:56 AM
Subject: RE: kgzip(1) is broken

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lepore [mailto:free...@damnhippie.dyndns.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:43 PM
To: Devin Teske
Cc: dte...@freebsd.org; freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 16:10 -0800, Devin Teske wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how a device driver can lead to "the
machine reboots immediately and unexpectedly the moment the kernel is
executed by the loader," which I took to mean "before seeing the
copyright or anything."

Indeed... loader throws up the syms and upon execution *KABOOM* (screen goes
black and back to POST)

The copyright never appears.

> I'm emailing the maintainers (davidch + other Broadcom folk)

The current dossier is even more interesting... the back-ported driver (with
zero modifications mind you from stable/9 to stable/8) exhibits memory failures
(example below), and causes terminals to become wedged when attempting to (for
example) scp a file over an existing configured network (igb-based -- presumably
unrelated to bxe but in practice loading bxe causes igb to misbehave).

$ ifconfig bxe0 inet 192.168.1.5/24
bxe0: ../../../dev/bxe/if_bxe.c(10939): Memory allocation failure! Cannot fill
fp[00] RX chain.
bxe0: ../../../dev/bxe/if_bxe.c(3921): NIC initialization failed, aborting!
$ ifconfig bxe1 inet 192.168.1.6/24
bxe1: ../../../dev/bxe/if_bxe.c(10939): Memory allocation failure! Cannot fill
fp[00] RX chain.
bxe1: ../../../dev/bxe/if_bxe.c(3921): NIC initialization failed, aborting!

(as expected, also sent mail off to maintainers w/respect to above notes/errors)

Sounds like you may be out of mbufs which is easy, on a box with 4 igb's simply
booting without tuning with cause this so, if you have igb's and bxe's this
could be your cause.

Try adding the following to loader.conf and see if it helps:-
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=51200

   Regards
   Steve

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.