On May 27, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On 5/27/13 9:56 AM, Bruce Cran wrote:
>> On 27/05/2013 16:48, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>> Why can we not use in the interim use pc-sysinstall on the platforms that
>>> it performs best on and use bsdinstall on the others?
>>
>> Because pc-sysinstall doesn't have a UI - it's only a backend. If we update
>> bsdinstall to use it, then it won't work on other platforms.
>>
> This still doesn't make sense to me.  Why can bsdinstall not conditionally
> use it?

Because, believe it or not, not all programs are split in twain, having a
front-end and a back-end.

I'm not defending it, and I'm not promoting it, but bsdinstall does things in a
different way where
pc-sysinstall wants to be just a back-end. bsdinstall would have to go through
a major revision
to make it use any external back-end. Currently it's one self-enclosed entity.

> Do we always have to seek the lowest common denominator for our user
> experience?

When the situation*is* that the release engineers can only embrace one
installer for the release
media of more than just x86 architecture, the answer is… yes (common
denominator required).

My thoughts are… let me toil on a new installer and then we can think about
opening the can
of worms that is "how to enable conditional installers."

HINT: I already solved that problem… by modifying the boot loader Forth menu to
allow the
creation of custom boot menus. Now all we need is another installer to elicit
the use of that code
to present the choice the user. However… (and this is a big however), unless
the 2nd choice
installer is as half-as-bad as bsdinstall… I don't see why it wouldn't just
replace it (therefore
negating the need to invoke that code I put in to allow multiple choice
installers at beastie menu).
--
Devin