I hit this unexpected problem: my host had an ungraceful shutdown while FreeBSD 9.1 STABLE was running in the VirtualBox VM. After reboot of the host and VM, local ufs file system was missing all recent updates for at least 20 hours (!!!) My question is, how is this possible? Is this related to journaled soft-updates which were enabled in VM? Losing data looks like a critical issue. I had a backup outside VM so no real data loss for me, but this is bad. Fedora VM, that was shut down in the same way didn't suffer from the same issue (local ext4). Host shutdown was caused by the frozen Xorg, I had to kill it and reboot. VirtualBox processes got killed in the process.

Yuri