On 08/08/2013 16:36, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 10:34, Mark Felder wrote:
>> After the EoL of FreeBSD 8 (estimated June 30, 2015) the old package
>> tools are scheduled to be removed from FreeBSD. This change will be
>> MFC'd back to 9-STABLE and the release at that time (perhaps
>> 9.4-RELEASE?) will not have the old pkg_* tools. This seems a bit odd to
>> happen in the middle of a series because of POLA, but we can't support
>> the old package tools forever and FreeBSD 9.1-9.3 will have given you
>> plenty of opportunity to migrate to the new package format and ease the
>> upgrade to FreeBSD 10.x.
>>

> Note this isn't set in stone. Watch the Roadmap on this page:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng/CharterAndRoadMap

Actually, that RoadMap is in dire need of updating.  The OS release
schedule got reworked after the RoadMap was written and the security
incident and the consequent necessity of completely redesigning and
rebuilding the pkgng package building system has added various delays too.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.