----- Original Message ----- From: "Xin Li" <delp...@delphij.net>

On 8/11/13 12:03 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
Is there any possibility that these quirks could be added to the upcoming 9.2 release?

I think so but we need to act fast.

Pools composed of affected disks will suffer from performance
issues until they are reformatted with the correct block size. In
addition, a certain benchmarking site, whose benchmarks are often
fodder for trolls, uses the Intel X25-M in its benchmarks. Adding
the quirk to 9.2 would eliminate an unfair handicap on FreeBSD from
their next set of benchmarks.

Actually I'm not 100% sure here: the current FreeBSD ZFS code does not
handle stripesize at all, and thus if you create a pool with the
patch, they will still be ashift=9.  Justin (gibbs@) have a patchset
to address this by the way, but since it's not yet in HEAD I wouldn't
expect it be incorporated in 9.2...

Indeed, there is nothing which really makes proper use of QUIRKS that
I'm aware of and ZFS definitely doesn't.

There's a number of patches around which correct that, I've one here
too, but none as yet are a total solution to the ashift issue.

   Regards
   Steve

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.