In local.freebsd.hackers you write:

>Could anyone enlighten me on how to set the amount of shared memory?

If you mean the wretched System V IPCs, the parameters are in LINT.
Search for "SHM".

>I'd like that info for FreeBSD 2.2.2, 3.x, 4.x

The parameters only have descriptive comments in 4.2, but I think they
are the same in all releases (they're in LINT in RELENG_2 from '98 at least).

    $.02,
    /Mikko

P.S.  Hmm... there seems to be writable sysctl values  (e.g. kern.ipc.shmmax).
      Maybe a kernel recompile isn't needed anymore.
--
 Mikko Työläjä[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 RSA Security