OK.  I have a disk drive that is failing in random ways.  Today blocks
123 456 and 293 might be unreadable.  Tomorrow, it might be these and
27 or it might just be 27.  It is an IDE drive.  I was wondering if anybody
had a program that would read the entire disk and keep a list/bitmap of
the bad blocks and try them again next time the program is run.  Operating
on a slice or partition level would be ideal (I have a 20G disk that
is failing, but only about 18G of free space).

Ideas?

Warner

P.S.  Basically what I want at the end of the day, disk willing, is
what dd if=/dev/ad8s2a of=/huge/big-honkin-file ... would give me.
I want this so I can then dump it to tape.  I can't run dump directly
since it hits those bad blocks and whines.

P.P.S.  Yes, I know I should have backups.

P.P.P.S.  Yes, I know that I may be SOL.