Doug Barton wrote:

> Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> >
> > On Tue 2001-01-09 (02:14), Doug Barton wrote:
> > > Gerhard Sittig wrote:
>
> > This way, we never repeat jobs, and never lose jobs.  Which makes cron
> > reliable.
>
> For your definition of "reliable." Personally, I find cron doing exactly
> what it's told and not trying to think for itself "reliable."

Indeed.

> > And when you finally realize that everyone else thinks this is a great
> > idea,
>
> In fact, I'm quite sure that this is not true. I happen to be the only one
> who is currently voicing opposition.

No, you're not the only one opposed.  I've stated my opposition
previously and will re-state it here.

If any change to expected cron behaviour is to be introduced,
the traditional behaviour must be the default, with a knob
documented in the man pages that can be twisted to get the
oddball behaviour that is being proposed here.