On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:12:42PM -0500, Dennis wrote:
> At 10:58 PM 01/24/2001, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> >In article
> ><local.mail.freebsd-hackers/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >you write:

> > sucked and

> > >The intel driver seems to cover all the bases and has some nice glue
> > >routines for determining the part and features available.
> > >
> > >I havent tested it under load, but I wonder if intel would consider
> > >supporting it if someone ported it over to freebsd? they have drivers for
> > >just about every other major OS except BSD. it would be nice if the driver
> > >was updated BEFORE cards and MBs that dont work started showing up on the
> > >we try one out.
> >
> >The documentation is available, if you want to (or have to) sign an
> >NDA.  People who have the NDA documentation are perfectly capable of
> >writing a driver, although the source can't be released.  It would
> >probably be possible to release a binary driver, but why do anything
> >to help Intel, given their unhelpful attitude?
>
> If they have a published, freely distributable driver for linux. why would
> you have to sign an NDA to port it to FreeBSD?
>
> I dont think so. Not anymore anyway. Thats the whole point of this thread...

Having looked at the Linux driver, the FreeBSD driver, and the
documentation, I can tell you that assuredly not all of the features
are documented in the Linux driver.  Also, porting requires changing
things, and without an understanding of _WHY_ things are done the
way they are, you can end up invaderdently changing something that
turns out to be critical.

Also, the Intel driver isn't put together very well, so you might end
up with a lower performance driver after all is said and done.
--
Jonathan