In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
you write:
>When booting FreeBSD 4.x on a system board with onboard fxp ethernet we
>developed for a research project here, we observe the same behaviour as
>described in the Dec 2000 -hackers thread "RE: yet another unsupported
>PHY in fxp driver"

You might want to try the updated fxp driver, which is available
at http://www.flugsvamp.com/~jlemon/fbsd/drivers/Intel_EtherExpress/
This uses a different method for detecting the PHYs.

>From a verbose boot of a generic kernel:
>
>Onboard fxp0 (the wacky one)
>found-> vendor=0x8086, dev=0x1229, revid=0x09

This looks like an Intel Pro/100S Management Adapter.
--
Jonathan