On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 05:16:02AM -0700, Jason Victor wrote:
> Hi. I have to have Windows on my computer, and will
> NOT spoil my perfectly tweaked Debian installation.
> What I was wondering was: is there a UMSDOS of Phat
> Linux-type thing for FreeBSD?

Not as far as I know (if UMSDOS of Phat is what I think it is).

> I think this would be an
> interesting project to undertake. If there isn't one,
> and anyone wants to start it, tell me what a
> (relatively) newbie C programmer can do.

Probably little; the main reason one doesn't exist is the lack of a UMSDOS
type filesystem on FreeBSD.  And it'd (probably) take more than a newbie
C programmer to code up one of those.

> And something completely unrelated: do FreeBSD
> drivers/HOWTOs work on OpenBSD and NetBSD?

Drivers: Depends; those that do tend to be full of :

#if defined __FreeBSD__
#define do_foo freebsd_do_foo
#elif defined __OpenBSD__
#define do_foo openbsd_do_foo
#endif

but as all the BSD's are similar, these are usually relativly small sections.

HOWTOs:  HOWTOs are either, in my experience:

        very system specific (you must be running Linux 2.4, or
        OpenBSD 2.6, or something) for it to be useful.

        or

        very generic (as long as you're reasonably bright, you can read
        the HOWTO and apply it to anything vaguly unixey).

How to install it type documents are in the former camp (reading the OpenBSD
install HOWTO ain't gonna help you install Debian); often things like
samba or other applications are in the latter camp.

> And what
> are the REAL reasons that you guys prefer FreeBSD to
> Linux?

It's development model is something approaching sane.

It's a complete OS; rather than a kernel and a bunch of loosly-associated
utilities that a bunch of differnet people have used to create a dozen or
so OSes from.

--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie