On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:53:33AM +0200, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> > So it looks like we have prior art by around 6 years, which would
> > invalidate the patent iff it was the same thing.
>
> Does it mean that the algorithm is free to use by everyone or free to use
> only in freebsd? I would like to implemet these page table back pointers
> too and I'm scared by the patent... I don't know how US patent system
> works.

The patent system works.... badly.

In general, prior art will invalidate an existing patent.  So if you
find examples of non-patented prior art, the patent is essentially
worthless.  HOWEVER, the patent will stand until someone challenges
it (which basically involves dragging things into court, and proving
the prior art claims).

The latter may be an expensive proposition, so some companies will
try to use bogus patents like this one to extort money from other
people on the theory that its cheaper for them to pay up than go to
court.

If I were you, I'd ignore it.  If you actually had enough money to
be a worthwhile target of the company, you'd also have enough money
to hire a decent lawyer.
--
Jonathan