On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 06:31:12PM -0400, Josh Osborne wrote:

> On Friday, June 15, 2001, at 02:37  PM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:23:21PM -0400, Rajappa Iyer wrote:
>>> http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm
>>>
>>> Any obvious reasons why FreeBSD performed so poorly for these people?
>>
>> Yes, it's not very difficult to guess why.  If you read the tuning(7)
>> manpage in recent 4.x FreeBSD systems you will notice that even the
>> order in which you lay out the partitions on the disks ruding
>> installation time can play a significant role in filesystem speed.
>> Softupdates are disabled by default, and for a good reason too
>> (reliability is more important than raw speed to the people who
>> install FreeBSD for the first time; if it isn't they can always enable
>> softupdates later on).  [...]
>
> Is softupdates known to be unreliable, or is it merely a distrust of
> new code?

Matt has explained this better than I could ever do, in his tuning(7)
manpage -- a recent, but very valuable addition to our manpages.  To
quote the manpage:

    First, softupdates guarentees filesystem consistency in the case
    of a crash but could very easily be several seconds (even a
    minute!)  behind updating the physical disk.  If you crash you may
    lose more work then otherwise.  Secondly, softupdates delays the
    freeing of filesystem blocks.  If you have a filesystem (such as
    the root filesystem) which is close to full, doing a major update
    of it, e.g.  make installworld, can run it out of space and cause
    the update to fail.

-giorgos