Matt Dillon wrote:

|     Out of the box, FreeBSD (and Linux) work just fine for virtually
|     anything you need to do, with very few exceptions.  If you need to
|     run a huge multi-gigabyte database, or you need to run an EFNET IRC
|     server, or a USENET relay, or a SPAM mailer, then you have a bit of
|     tuning work to do.  Otherwise it will just work.  We tune our default
|     configurations for what most people need.  We don't tune them to run
|     stupid benchmarks.

This is indeed the case.  I've been running FreeBSD releases
from the CD subscription service since 2.2.6 on my own network
and all my customer networks.  I do build a new kernel each time
so that I can drop all the drivers that aren't needed (as that
halves the kernel size), but that takes only a few minutes per
release and is a no-brainer.  And then those boxes just run and
FreeBSD just works and the performance for those real world
operations is excellent -- reliability is 100% and speed is such
that users feel that they're getting instant responses.  That's
the only kind of benchmark that matters.