+---- Matthew Hagerty wrote:
| As I understand the BSD license anyone can use it, however, they must say
| that they are using it, no?  So if MS is using TCP/IP code (or any other
| code from FreeBSD), are they not in violation of the license by not
| including such a clause in their license or documentation?  What am I
| missing here?

You are missing the fact that MS presents to the public the concept of
open source licenses having a viral nature and open source projects
being insecure.  They use the term "open source", while actually
implying GPL, while the "insecure" thing is outright false - based on
the number of reported bugs (which is contradictory, since they are
bugs being found and fixed by a HUGE userbase that has access to the
code, while you have to rely on MS's relatively tiny test team to do
the same thing on their products...).

The general effect is that people who don't know any better (ie.
corporate types) instruct their IT people to remove all open source
OSes from their infrastructure and don't use any in future development
projects.

--
Steve Tremblett