On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:26:58PM -0400, a little birdie told me
that Mike Smith remarked
> I'm new to FreeBSD (come from the *gasp* System V and RTU world) so I
> hope this is the correct list for this. ( I'm sure I will be told if
> it's not :-} )
>
> Is there ANY penalty for having a device in your config file that is not
> in your system??

It eats some RAM.
It will waste a bit of time on the bootup probes (we're talking seconds,
if that much)
It takes a bit longer to compile (of course, far less than compiling 40
seperate kernels!)

It's possible with some ISA devices that you can have conflicts, but you
can generally work around those by disabling them in the kernel.conf
either manually or from the boot -c editor (the changes were stored in
the kernel binary in older versions, but anything reasonably recent will
use the /boot/kernel.conf file).

I am by no means the final authority on this, of course; but in my
experience, you're going to see fractions of a percent increase in
resource usage (primarily RAM) and some possible slight administrative
overhead with conflict resolution.  Far better solution, I'd say, than
trying to customize everything.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator      |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]