At 11:29 AM -0700 10/27/01, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Mike Barcroft wrote:
>  > I recommend using newsyslog(8) for rotating log files.
>
>I recommend _NOT_ using newsyslog for rotating files.
>
>The problem is that newsyslog doesn't "rewrite history".
>As an example, say you have [...]

>Now you can only rotate it out with another 10K of data
>writtent to an already full /var (other log files are now
>free to consume the 10K you freed up), and then it will
>take 5 log rollovers before your /var is down to its
>proper disk utilization again, and your system is back
>to normal... and these can never happen.

>Until newsyslog is fixed to not be able to stage a
>denial of service attack against you, I really, really
>recommend against its use.

Seems like it would be more user-friendly (to freebsd users
in general) to fix newsyslog, instead of just telling people
that they should not use it...  If people "just don't use"
newsyslog, how does that guarantee that whatever they do
use will not have the same problem that you described?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]