Darren Reed wrote:

>In some email I received from Arjan de Vet, sie wrote:
>> I wrote similar patches (see http://home.iae.nl/users/devet/freebsd/)
>> trying to fix more or less the same bugs/problems.
>>
>> Maybe it's a good idea if Giorgos and I together come up with 1 'big'
>> ipfilter /etc/rc.* and rc.conf.5 patch which includes the best parts of
>> both our patches?
>
>That sounds like a good plan.

OK, updated patches for stable and current are available from:

        http://home.iae.nl/users/devet/freebsd/

I include the README here:

        This is joint work with Giorgos Keramidas.

        Patches to fix and cleanup ipfilter/ipnat code in the /etc/rc.*
        framework both for -current and -stable, including an update to
        the rc.conf(5) manual page. Note that for stable 'ipfs' should
        be MFC'ed first!

        Overview of problems fixed:

        - ipmon(8) is started before loading any filter/NAT rules;

        - ipmon(8) and ipfs(8) do not solely depend on ipfilter_enable
          anymore, they now also work when only ipnat_enable is true;

        - the multiple occurrences of code loading the ipfilter kernel
          module have been removed;

        - the options have been removed from the _program variables in
          defaults/rc.conf and the comments in that file have been
          updated to reflect (possibly new) reality;

        - the rc.conf.5 manual page has been updated to reflect the
          changes.

        After this patch has been applied the following ipfilter related
        PRs can be closed:

        kern/25344
        conf/26275
        bin/27016
        conf/31482

        conf/25223
        conf/25809

Darren: please wait for the comments of Doug Barton before committing,
he wants to review the patch for possible rc.* style issues first.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Work: http://www.madison-gurkha.com/  (Security, Open Source, Education)