On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> No, you're missing the point almost entirely.  The checksum is not
> skipped.  It is calculated by the DMA engine based on the data that's
> transferred across the I/O bus on the receiver (and / or the sender).
> If the data is incorrect as seen by the receiving nic, the checksum
> will be wrong and the packet will be dropped.

you still have a potential problem here with variance in chipsets, namely
the case of broken ABORT or other unusual PCI cycle handling (missed word
problem). I agree it's a low probability. But we've seen it, just a week
or two ago on a brand new box.

But then we tend to see things here nobody else sees due to our scale.

ron