Toshihiko ARAI wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I add script call features to newsyslog.  This adds a one field to
> newsyslog.conf.  When newsyslog processed log file, this can execute
> arbitrary program.
>
> Situation to assume:
>  * For the log file which cannot use signal.
>  * Cases to do statistical application for log file.
>
> A sample entry of newsylog.conf:
> # logfilename  [owner:group] mode count size when [ZB] [/pid_file] [sig_num]
>[/program]
> /var/log/foo.log  bar:baz    640  1     100  *     Z   -  -  /etc/foo.sh
>
> '-' is usable as a filler of null field.
>
> I used similar enhanced function from the past.  I think that you can
> apply this patch for 5-current.  In addition, I can prepare a patch
> for 4-stable if it is necessary.
>
> I ask for testing and a review of the following patches.

it would be interresting to have the possibility to pass optional
args to program.

also, how about testing for the first (or the last) char to be &
to run the program asynchronously ?

much better, always run the program asynchronously so that hanging
programs (who knowns?) don't block the whole process. to do this,
somewhere in main(), add something such as signal(SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN)
and delete the while statment in post_prog().

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]