I believe it's because the boot loader goes by partition type.  All
Microsoft operating systems can use FAT (either FAT16, FAT32 or both).  The
boot loader can't tell what operating system you've got installed on your
FAT partition, so it goes with the lowest common denominator - DOS.

--
Matt Emmerton