:...
:>     in a wire select to an unused bank, which meant the screen was spaghetti
:>     on power-up until i LOAD'd a copy of the character set.
:
:UGH.  You didn't load the RAM from the ROM at power on?!?

    No extra rom slots.  Had to load from tape or floppy.

:We had the "high resolution graphics" board in one machine; it's
:where I did my first ray tracing code, for an Optics class.  Now
:*that* was a cool third party board, replacing the character
:generator output with bitmapped graphics, and un-overlapping the
:video memory by actually wiring in the chip select for more RAM.

    I seem to recall the CBM business machines (decked out PETs with a
    larger screen and other cool stuff) had some cool graphics capabilities,
    but the only time I was ever able to play with one was in the computer
    store.  They were just too expensive for me at the time.

                                                -Matt