On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:03:47PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Jim Durham, and lo! it spake thus:

> Is this "Mission Impossible"? I have no one at the site that can do this.
>
> If I say "make installworld" is the whole thing going to come to a
> grinding halt?

When I did a 2.2.8-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE upgrade, I ended having to do it
in one broken-up step.

First (and the only sane way, IMO) is to do the buildworld on a 4.x
system; get all those lib conflicts and crap out of the picture.  Then I
installed the 4.x kernel, did the necessary frobbing (installing loader,
re-disklabel -B'ing, sd->da renames in /var with mknod, etc), booted up
the 4.x kernel, THEN did the installworld, mergemaster, reboot.

Some issues I found:
- Some apps (portmap in particular) caused no end of trouble when the 2.2
  app ran under the 4 kernel.  Like, kernel-panic type trouble.
- Device renamings are a bitch.

In theory, a 3->4 upgrade should be easier than this, since you don't I
think need to do any device renaming, which solves a bunch of my problems
right off.  I'd still be pretty leery about doing it remotely, though.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator      |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]