(hopefully this is not too mangled by M$. It should display ok in fixed
width fonts)

Proposed firewall structure

We are proposing to augment our firewalling as follows
and I would like advice on how to (re)setup our MPD
installation.

I see two options
(a) put MPD on the bastion host and allow the GRE packets through
   to it via the RED network, and then allow the authenticated TCP
   packets from it through to the GREEN network.
(b) place a GIF tunnel on the bastion host and forward the GRE
   packets on towarwds the GREEN network that way.

I have never used gif yet and am looking to those who have been
here before as to the most appropriate method.

                                        INTERNET

                                      GRE   |
                                     (pptp) |
                                       |    |
                                       v    | a...1
+---------------------+         +-----------------------+
|                     |         |                       |
|   Bastion host      |         |  Access Router        |
|                     |         |                       |
|                     |         |                       |
|  MPD or gif tunnel  |         |                       |
|          ?          |         |                       |
+---------------------+         +-----------------------+
           | x...1                          | x...126
       TCP |  ^                       GRE   |
        |  |  |                        |    |
        v  | GRE     <-GRE             v    |             RED
                      TCP->           TCP   |
                                       |    |
                                       v    |
                                            | x...32
                                +-----------------------+
                                |                       |
                                |  Choke router         |
                                |                       |
                                |    MPD here if gif?   |
                                            | y...32
                                            |
                                            |           GREEN

Murray Taylor -- Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems P/L
+61 3 8710 2555 phone    +61 3 8710 2599  fax
www.bytecraftsystems.com    www.bytecraftentertainment.com