Greetings all,

While writing CGIs in C, I'm getting a bit sick of escaping
quotes and line continuations in strings.  Not a huge deal,
perhaps, but there must be a better way.  Strings end up in .data
or .rodata in object files to be linked...

I'm about to whip up a utility that will take any arbitrary
file and store the contents in a .o file (complete with symbol
names so one can actually link, of course).

Instead of compiling:

        const char foo[] = "\"Escape\" chars make strings in 'C'
        code...\n\
        ...messy.  Line breaks can be troublesome and add\
            unexpected whitespace to one's code." ;

simply put the desired unescaped text in a file:

        "Escape" chars make strings in 'C' code...
        ...messy.  Line breaks can be troublesome and add
            unexpected whitespace to one's code.

then run the utility.

Large amounts of embedded HTML/XML/XHTML are just beginning to
bug me.

Note that it wouldn't be limited to text, either.  If one wished
to take a raw-binary lookup table for a sine wave, that would
make no difference.

If there's interest, I'll post it for download.  I also have a
few other ideas, and certainly am open to suggestions.

--
Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence