Having had to make Lilo boot Linux on these boards I have some familiarity with
them. They don't have a standard BIOS, so they don't support the standard
routines that the newer bootloader expects (e.g. memory sizing). If you have
more questions feel free to follow up off list - I doubt the particulars of
these boards or CDS' custom/hacked version of FreeBSD 3.0 are of much interest
to those on the list. If need be I can contact the person who designed the
board - I know it is a bit of a kludge but he was working on a very limited time
frame. Also you'll find that the MAC address is stored on the boot ROM. Maxtor
has moved from FreeBSD to the Windows SAK so the newer boxes are likely to
have full BIOS support (they could not keep any of the CDS developers to
maintain the FreeBSD code base).