What it does is the userland hangs, but the kernel keeps running.

When the system is crashed, I can still ping it successfully, and I can
still open sockets (like I can open a connection to a jails httpd or sshd,
or the sshd of the underlying server itself) but nothing answers on the
sockets - they just hang open.

So everything stops running, but it is still "up" - still responds to
pings...syslog stops logging though, cron stops running....

Two questions for you:

1) do you allow them write access to their /dev/mem, /dev/kmem, /dev/io ?

2) does this sound like what you see?  Can you still ping the crashed
server ?

I'm mostly just curious if this kind of crash (userland hung but kernel
running) is a possible outcome of someone in a jail fiddling with those
/dev nodes, or if fiddling with dev/mem or /dev/kmem or io would just lock
the machine up hard and completely.

Terry?

--PT