About 34 system calls need work (with time changes), approximately
    16 without time changes.  I've included a summary at the end.

    The questions before us:

        * What to do about time representation.

        * Whether to create a new syscall vector or use the existing
          vector.

    I have thought long and hard about this and I now believe that we
    should keep our existing vector, even though it's become a real mess,
    at least through the release.  This will also allow us to convert
    to a 64 bit time representation without blowing anything up.  The
    original API calls would of course remain valid.

        wait4()         -> wait464()
        *stat()         -> *stat64()
        getrusage()     -> getrusage64()
        getfsstat()     -> getfsstat64()
        *statfs()       -> *statfs64()
        *itimer()       -> *itimer64()
        select()        -> select64()
        gettimeofday()  -> gettimeofday64()
        settimeofday()  -> settimeofday64()
        *times()        -> *times64()
        adjtime()       -> adjtime64()
        quotactl()      -> quotactl64()

        CREATE          sleep64()       (takes timeval64)

        typedef int64_t time64_t;

        struct timeval64 {
                time64_t        tv_sec;
                int64_t         tv_frac;        /* N/2^63 fractional */
        };

        typedef struct timeval64 timespec64;

        struct itimerval64 {
                struct timeval64 it_interval;
                struct timeval64 it_value;
                int64_t         it_resolution;  /* N/2^63 fractional (ro) */
        }

        #define TIMEFRAC        0x4000000000000000LL

        I understand some people may want this to be unsigned and
        0xF[63] or 0x7F[62] but this makes the fractional value
        an imperfect representation in both base 10 and base 2 and its
        a good idea to make it a perfect representation in at least base 10
        or base 2.  Also, divider logic is far faster with fewer '1' bits.

        In terms of signed verses unsigned it is far easier to use a signed
        value here in regards to program logic and useage and, additionally,
        being able to represent negative times is a useful abstraction even
        if the syscalls do not particularly need the capability.

    In regards to normalizing the API such that a call to stat() should
    actually be a call to stat64(), I believe a compiler option may be
    the best way to go.  The compiler option would simply pre-set a
    #define and our includes would #define-rename the functions to
    present a normalized API to those programs that can handle it.
    Example:

        gcc --unix64    (sets __UNIX_API64__)
        gcc --unix32    (unsets __UNIX_API64__)         (default)

    Then our system include files would do this (in appropriate places):

        #ifdef __UNIX_API64__

        #define stat    stat64
        #define ... (etc)

        #define time_t  time64_t
        #define timeval timeval64

        #endif

    Amoung other things this should hopefully make any issues that come
    up debuggable by causing the compiler to generate warnings when
    prototypes do not match up.

                                EVENTUAL GOAL

    The eventual goal would then be to compile our entire source tree
    with --unix64 through a release or two, and then, eventually (perhaps
    two years down the line) we would make --unix64 the default.

                                TIMEVAL64 ISSUES

    Now there is a fairly serious issue with using fractional seconds, and
    that is that you cannot use the representation additively.  That is,
    you cannot represent '100ns' in the structure and then add thousands
    of structures together and get the result you expect because 100ns
    cannot be represented exactly with this method.

    This is the same problem that financial systems have when they try to
    use floating point (e.g. 'double') to add monetary amounts together.
    If you do not round each intermediate result to the required resolution
    errors can creep into long calculations.  As long as people understand
    this problem I believe the format is reasonable.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    (Matt's summary of syscall changes)

    wait4       extend rusage elements to 64 bits
    getrusage   extend rusage elements to 64 bits
    getfsstat   extend f_blocks, f_bfree, f_bavail, f_files,
                        f_ffree, f_syncwrites, f_asyncwrites,
                        f_syncreads, f_asyncreads to 64 bits,
                        add any additional fields required by
                        Kirk.
    *statfs     various internal fields and time

    *stat       ino_t -> 64 bits, time fields.  What about st_gen ?

    *itimer             itimerval contains timeval  (also, add
                                an ITIMER_HIRES feature)
    select              timeval passed
    gettimeofday        timeval passed
    settimeofday        timeval passed
    *times              timeval passed
    adjtime             timeval passed
    quotactl            extend dqblk structure to 64 bit limits

    ntp*                Do any of the NTP API elements need
                        to be extended?  ntp_adjtime(),
                        ntp_gettime() (well, the sysctl anyway)

    clock_gettime       timespec passed
    clock_settime       timespec passed
    clock_getres        timespec passed

    nanosleep           timespec passed (new function: sleep64())